Thursday, June 9, 2011

Life is so surreal here...

I have been in the middle east for 12 days. I have 338 days to go. Right now I work (nights), eat and sleep. 12 hours on, 12 hours off, 7 days a week. The night before last I heard the first booms of an attempted rocket attack, then the sirens. Nice early indication warning. I found myself cringing when I got back to my room when I heard helo's flying over. It is a helpless feeling.
I am 12 days away from my one year anniversary of sobriety. But right now that isn't even a priority in my life. Drinking here is not an option. There is no alcohol- only non-alcohol beer. Funny how life turns around. A year ago I was wallowing in my own self pity, miserable because I was an alcoholic.
Now I sit here in Afghanistan worried about rocket attacks. Contrary to some belief I see evidence of great things being done by the coalition of forces here. I cannot predict the future- but I hope it is one in which we have brought the good people in Afghanistan a little closer to feeling safe from the chaos that usually surrounds them.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you - stay safe and congrats on your one year if we dont hear from you before then. That's an awesome milestone and accomplishment in itself - to do it under such duress - doubly so. Keep us updated on what's happening with you while you protect our freedoms. Screedler

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking about you!! Bless you for all you do!! We are all thinking about you!!

    ReplyDelete